Saturday, January 03, 2015

Goodbye Wisconsin

Today was our final day here in Wisconsin.  We have really enjoyed our time here.  Skiing during the day, relaxing by the pool or hot tub, and eating out (no cooking) for dinner has been awesome.

Kevin was the first up each morning.  His alarm going off at 7:30am; the Duffy girls kept trying to impress upon him that sleeping in is part of vacation.  He made sure we were all up and ready for our breakfast before taking the needed time to put on 3 - 4 layers of clothes. 

On New Year's Day we skied together in the morning.  We were counting the number of times we made it down the runs before someone fell & much to the Duffy girl's surprise, the first one to tumble was Kevin.  But not one to be outdone, I took a tumble near the top of the slope and slid half way down on my rear end.  It was quite funny...  Kevin collected my gear, which was spread all over, and attempted to help me get my skis on - BUT - we were still on a pretty steep slope so it was almost impossible.  I thought for a moment I was going to have to continue sliding down on my rear.  Once I had my skis back on we met the girls at the bottom of the slope.

Next time up was to be memorable cause the ski lift stopped for more than 10 minutes while we dangled in the air.  Thankfully we were in the area surrounded by trees versus in the wide open so we didn't have as much air blowing on us.

So what do you do when you're stuck on a ski lift ... take selfies of course.  Can you tell who everyone is with all our gear on (Brittney & Sophie are the most recognizable, Brittney can be determined by process of elimination, but Kevin could be just about anybody - don't you agree)



Once the lift was back to running, the Duffy's finished the day skiing in style ... Brittney met up with a friend from school and another friend who recently moved here, and the 3 of them enjoyed tree skiing, black diamonds, and muggles.  Sophie was the trooper who stayed with me during warm up times and braved the more adventurous skiing that Kevin enjoys the rest of the day.  Kevin was mister versatile dealing with all the various levels of the Duffy skiers.  And I was the one who liked to play it safe most of the time.

We ended New Year's Day with some good ole football ... unfortunately my Seminoles must have been sick, asleep on the job, or their clones were playing, cause that was the worst performance I have seen them give. 

Friday was our final day of skiing, and with 3 days under our belt, we had learned a short cut from the parking lot to the ski lift.  Well, never one to shy from embarrassment, let me tell you that I face planted on the path from the parking lot to the ski lift.  Yep, did it right in front of everyone.  Did my family come and help me ... Nope, they just laughed.  Fortunately, I was laughing pretty hard as well, but I finally collected myself, my dignity, and my gear so I could make my way to the lift. 

We all started the day skiing together.  However, after a few too many close calls for me, I decided to spend the rest of the day in the chalet keeping us a table to sit at.  I enjoyed meeting a family from Chicago and swapping some ski stories. 

Today the slopes were making snow most of the day, so when you skied through the trees you came out all wet & covered in ice, and the girls had never experienced frozen hair before today :-)  All in all, today was a good end to our adventure.  No one got hurt, memories were made, and we all definitely want to ski again real soon. 

Also, I would like to give a shout out to whoever invented hand warmers!  If it weren't for them we would not have made it this week.  We kept one in each of our gloves, and at the end of the day they were still warm ~ it was awesome!

No comments: