Sunday, March 22, 2009

Happy Mother's Day UK style!

One of the perks of living in the UK is that I get to celebrate 2 Mother's Day - the good ole, standard Mother's Day celebrated in the USA during the month of May and Mothering Day (also known as Mum's Day) here in the UK. Today at church I learned that Mothering Day is actually a church celebrated occasion dating back to the 16th century. The date is determined by the 4th Sunday of Lent or approximately half way through Lent. Another tradition is to eat a Simnel Cake (fruit cake with marzipan, an almond paste, in the middle with 11 balls on the top). I was also reminded that scripture is clear that God loves us with a mother's comforting love ~ "as a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you..." Isaiah 66:13a.

Today started with Sophie bringing me breakfast in bed (cereal with yogurt), followed by her proudly presenting me with her school-made card. Then Brittney produced all of her beautiful hand-made cards. An excellent way to start the day!

Kevin was 'struggling' for gift ideas so I suggested he take me to the antique centre where I had some ideas freshly prepared to share with him :-) I wanted a picture of a British Fox Hunt. So we looked through the numerous pictures while the girl's patiently entertained themselves. The picture we got is of a fox hunt taking place at Belvoir Castle (which we have been to). Way cool! The girls also found a small King Charles Spaniel Dog for me which I will proudly display on my desk. Afterwards we drove to a local Equestrian Centre and signed me and the girls up for lessons. I can't wait to start!

I had an excellent day and am reminded of just how much I love my Momma and all the women who have been a 'mothering' comfort to me in my years... God is so good!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Happy Mum's Day! Sounds like you had a great day. I would love to take horseback riding lessons-FUN!!!

The Roeschley's said...

I'm confused. I thought pink baby died...but yet she lives in that picture with Soph...i don't get it. haha